Caring about the environment is a top trend nowadays, which brings companies additional profits. Keep reading to learn how to use this approach to boost your business performance!
In order for future generations to inhabit Planet Earth, entrepreneurs must continue to focus on environmental sustainability. Environmental sustainability is the practice of using the Earth's natural resources only as we need them and limiting as well as eliminating pollution creation. Since we have discovered how important it is to follow sustainable practices, top minds have been trying to find the best ways to preserve the planet's resources. One practice that makes a dramatic impact is environmental design. Read on to find out what environmental design and how your cannabis business can implement it to get maximum benefits!
What is Environmental Design?
Environmentally sustainable design is the concept of incorporating eco-friendly practices within the design of goods, services, and structures. When it comes to environment design, many different aspects must be considered. According to the U.S. General Service Administration, when an organization or company decides to implement the approach of sustainable design, they must consider the following:
- Optimize site potential
Optimizing site potential is extremely necessary when talking about environment design. The most important aspect of optimizing site potential is proper site selection.
- Minimize non-renewable energy consumption
Buildings make up a large portion of the world’s energy consumption and a majority of buildings are using non-renewable energy. This results in the mass expulsion of CO2 and other harmful gasses. It is vital that non-renewable energy sources be minimized.
- Use environmentally preferable products
Many products commonly used in production and maintenance are harmful to the environment. When implementing an environmental design, your designers must begin using greener and compostable materials.
- Protect and conserve water
Water is a critical natural resource for life on Earth. During sustainable design, you are challenged to use water efficiently while preserving water quality.
- Enhance indoor environmental quality
Indoor environmental quality (IEQ) includes many different aspects of design. This can include the aesthetics and comfort level of a space. However, when referring to indoor environmental quality as it pertains to environment design the most important aspect is health and safety. For example, you have to pay close attention to ensuring that the air supply in a given space is not contaminated.
- Optimize operational and maintenance practices
Optimizing operational and maintenance practices is all about continuing sustainable practices after design and construction. This includes practicing waste reduction/recycling.
Why Should Business Owners Care about Environmental Design?
There is no question about it, sustainable design and practices are essential to maintaining and improving the Earth’s environment. Sustainability has become not only something a cannabis business owner should care about but essential to a business’s success and reputation. With more data coming out constantly on the importance of sustainable business practices, the public demands that sustainability is a top priority for all forward-thinking businesses. If helping preserve the Earth’s natural resources is not enough of an incentive, here are some additional reasons to care about sustainable design:
- Tax incentives. Companies who participate in sustainable practices are able to cash in on a variety of different government-related financial incentives.
- Reducing overall costs. Energy conservation systems that are an essential part of the environmental design will reduce long term energy costs, such as traditional heating and cooling of a corporate building.
- Attracting new consumers. Implementing and maintaining sustainable practices attracts new consumers who care about a company’s environmental impact.
- Attracting and maintaining investors. Like consumers, many investors are attracted to sustainable business and like adding them to their portfolio.
- Staying competitive. Practicing sustainability is a major factor in staying competitive in today’s marketplace.
- Employee values. People like to know that they work for environmentally conscious companies.
- Resources are limited. Many of Earth’s resources are non-renewable. Companies who rely heavily on resources such as fossil fuels will be in serious trouble when they run out. For this reason, they must find alternatives.
- In the public eye, brands who follow sustainable practices have a better image and more ethical brand messaging.
What Is Sustainable Packaging Design?
Most of the information about the product your customers get visually. When purchasing goods, they, first of all, evaluate it by packaging where they get a lot of visual signs: semantic, graphic, and many others. Using eco-packaging protects the product from the external environment, and the environment from the goods and packaging itself. In different countries, the packaging is labeled with various eco-signs (leaflet of life, northern swan, environmental choice, etc.), so that it is easier for the consumer to navigate if the packaging brings a threat to health. Eco-packaging is a kind of start to the transition to “green economics”.
That is why three components are represented here:
- economic (rising cost of energy resources, energy “insecurity”, lack of freshwater, food insecurity and insecurity, urbanization);
- natural (climate change, desertification, loss of biodiversity, depletion of natural resources);
- social (the problem of the health within the nation, aging of the nation, demographic doom, widespread poverty, inequality of people and countries, spiritual crisis)
Therefore, eco-packaging is aimed at resolving some of the crucial issues by combining the above 3 components:
Packaging becomes thinner and lighter, alternative energy resources are used in packaging production. There is a gradual reduction in the production of packaging from non-recyclable materials. Under the influence of the latest generations of nanotechnological and biomaterials and the trends of the modern lifestyle, entrepreneurs strive to implement new communicative functions in packaging.
Today, a lot of packing uses natural or renewable raw materials, such as bamboo, wood (cardboard, paper), metal, etc., bioplastics from natural raw materials, potatoes, corn, beets, sugarcane.
SG Labs highlight that cannabis companies should aim to apply conventional symbols to their packaging (pink ribbon, infinity sign) that are not associated with the goods, to draw attention to acute social phenomena, such as poverty, hunger, ecology, cancer, domestic violence, lack of water, packaging for elderly and disabled people. All these make buyers more loyal to nowadays world issues. In addition, this approach helps to establish an emotional connection with customers who really care about nature issues.
In addition, one of the tasks that environmental design in packaging solves is the problem of visual noise. Visual noise interferes with the perception of useful information, destroys mental health. There are two types of visual noise: overloaded with advertising calls on the package and overloaded with background colors. Therefore, eco-friendly packaging is a holistic system of creating product benefits using an ideological-value and social-value reference.
Environmental design is a compelling sales tool, making it that much easier to market a specific image to prospective clients as they walk through space or talk through ideas. The accurate visual appeal of a product can assist in creating a deep connection between your cannabis brand and loyal customers. The ability to utilize a cutting edge environmental design approach, transforming it into a powerful communication tool might be a striking asset for your cannabis-related business.
Scandalous Advertising: How Does It Make Possible to Reach the Consumer?
How to Launch a New Brand? An Effective Guide to Getting Started on Your Business’s Influence