Key Online Advertising Trends You Need to Know
You may have the perfect product with good market demand and at a competitive price, but this isn’t enough. It is necessary for potential customers to find out about your product in order to make a successful business.
A couple of decades ago it was about advertising in newspapers, on the radio, billboards, TV, etc., however today the attention of marketers has shifted to the Internet. There are several reasons for this:
- Unlimited user reach: you can attract customers from all around the world
- 24-hour contact with potential buyers
- Interactivity: people can react to the advertising by clicking on it, leaving a request, making an order, etc.
- Targeting a specific audience: ads can be targeted to specific people groups or those with specific interests.
And this is just a beginning. Scroll down to find out what trends marketers use to turn an every-day story into a real boom!
The main types of online advertising trends
- SEO optimization
SEO optimization is a set of measures that are carried out in order to increase the position of a site in search results for key queries. This includes internal and external site optimization, link building, compilation and use of a semantic core, filling the site with unique thematic content and much more. SEO is an eternal trend that gets you the following benefits:
- High conversion rates. If the search engine optimization has been carried out correctly, visitors who are most interested in the proposed product or service get to the site.
- Relatively affordable cost. Relatively, since the price varies depending on the niche and keywords which the site is using. Display and contextual advertising will cost more for the same requests.
- Long lasting effect. A contextual banner or teaser advertising may work while you constantly renew investment in advertising but promoting a website on the internet using SEO brings results over a long period of time without constant cash investments.
- User trust. Potential customers tend to trust sites that appear in organic SERPs more than those that pay for contextual advertising.
- Contextual advertising
Advertising your site for key queries that were selected and paid in the advertising office. Such links are placed above, below, and aside from organic issuance and are highlighted accordingly. What is good here:
- Quick result. Customers start coming to your site as soon as the ad appears in the SERP. Often such online advertising starts immediately after the creation of a website
- Precision settings. The advertising office has filters using which you can carefully select the target audience
- Transparency of payment. You can determine the cost per impression or click and allocate a budget that you are willing to spend on a specific time range of advertising
- You track the results and overall performance of an advertising company
- The effectiveness of your ad can be predicted, and the optimal budget can be determined for the desired results.
- Social Media Advertising
Advertising for a website promotion on social networks (Facebook, Instagram, and others) includes placing ad posts on your page, creating thematic communities and advertising in them, holding contests, targeting, collaborating with bloggers, etc.
The best parts about this trend are:
- Comprehensive coverage: the number of users on social networks, and the time they spend there is constantly growing
- Careful audience segmentation
- Positive user confidence loan
- High speed of information exchange (advertising quickly brings results)
- Audience reach is easy to estimate
Demonstration of advertisements in free informational and mobile gaming applications for iOS and Android.
- While competition in context, display advertising, and social networks has already reached high levels, it is much easier to attract an audience in applications.
- Broad audience reach and site selection by application categories.
- A wide selection of advertising types: banner, video, interactive, etc.
- Push notifications
Online advertising of websites using short notifications, which with the consent of the user come to his computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone.
- The visitor does not need to enter an email address to sign up for notifications. These notifications significantly increase the number of subscriptions.
- The message is instantly delivered and immediately read by the user.
- Segmentation of the audience and distribution of the most relevant offers are targeted to each client.
How to measure the effectiveness of online advertising
An important advantage of online advertising is the ability to track its performance. The following indicators allow you to understand how justified the chosen advertising strategy is.
- The number of people who saw the ad at least once.
- The number of impressions. This indicator, like the previous one, is of key importance for image advertising. It reflects the number of ad impressions for a selected time range.
- Response rate. The ratio of the number of clicks on an ad to the number of views, multiplied by 100%.
- Conversion rate. The ratio of customers to the total number of visitors who came to the site from advertising, multiplied by 100%.
- An indicator of the subjective attractiveness of advertising. The ratio of the number of views to the number of impressions of an ad multiplied by 100%.
The data necessary to calculate these indicators can be obtained in the advertising office and using the counters installed on the site.
Upcoming trends for online ads
Long-term relationships and personal approach are still valued
In the near future, the digital advertising market in the world will continue to develop. This process will occur with some changes under the influence of global trends. 2020 will bring the following trends to online advertising:
- In the near future, one will win whose advertising is organic and will cause more trust.
- Programmed and innovative advertising inventory. Experts predict a decrease in the number of manual advertising purchases. Automated services, in combination with new advertising tools, already show excellent results.
- Today's reality is that people are less trusting of anonymous companies and prefer to deal with specific people. Engaging content actively broadcasts key company ideas. The advantage is given to those who build a long-term structure of interaction with users.
- Turning from text format to video and interactivity. In 2020, catching a customer with just text will be extremely difficult. Instead, interactive forms (quiz, split test, video with a circular view, etc.) will work well.
Regulation of advertising activities
In the United States, the regulation of advertising is carried out not only by public authorities (at the federal and regional levels), but also to a large extent through self-regulation.
Freedom of advertising is recognized as part of freedom of speech. But because of the result of several court decisions, it was found that it is subject to more stringent restrictions than other forms of expression of freedom of speech. Thus, public authorities have the right to regulate the distribution of false or misleading advertising, advertising of illegal goods and services, as well as reliable advertising - in cases that contribute to the protection of significant public interests.
Regulation at the federal level of government
At the federal level, regulation of advertising is carried out through the adoption of federal laws, as well as by vesting the relevant executive bodies with powers to control, supervise, and regulate the advertising market. The control and oversight functions in the field of advertising in the USA are carried out mainly by the Federal Trade Commission (hereinafter referred to as the FTS). Initially aimed at protecting entrepreneurs from unfair competition methods, the activities of the FTS gradually concentrated on protecting consumer rights from misleading advertising.
Other US government agencies are also involved in the legislative regulation of advertising. Thus, the Food and Drug Administration publishes guidelines for advertising related products, organizes training programs, as well as accepts and considers complaints in the person of its Department for Marketing and Advertising of Medicines.
In addition, The Association of National Advertisers is the leading representative body of the marketing industry, whose members are exclusively advertising agencies representing advertising companies. The Association advocates legislative initiatives, promotes industry policies, and develops recommendations by considering professional and public interests and needs. Each year, the organization publishes a Memorandum on Law, Legislation and Rulemaking, describing its achievements and participation in this area.